Skip to main content

How the way brain functions can help us to develop better algorithms for problem solving

 

//This post was a part of my 2022 Application for The Knowledge Society for its Global Virtual Program
 

Teach us about a topic you are interested in.

Machine Learning involves computer algorithms that learn by experience, forming patterns from a given set of data to determine possible causes that have led to the current situation.

Neural networks come under a subset of Machine Learning which is itself a part of the field Artificial intelligence. Artificial Neural Networks aim to stimulate the working of the biological mind. The algorithms begin to find patterns from a given set of data much like the countless deliberations we are required to do before making a relatively simple decision. (Should I drink Coffee at 9 in the night or go with a decaf?). We mull over seemingly unrelated clauses which could be affecting our decision (a friend who is addicted to caffeine) and recount past experiences (the time when I tossed and turned the whole night) and predict possible outcomes (I could disrupt my sleep schedule and be unable to make it to school on time). The truth is that real life is messy and complicated. Neural networks imitate the thought process that goes into making choices.  I often have to analyze data which may seem unrelated to come to decisions that are not biased (At least not heavily).

Insights from neuroscience into how neurons function and adapt to change has helped in forming the core of Machine Learning. Simulated Neural Networks have a number of layers or nodes present between input and output layers. Research on how memory is processed, stored and retrieved, and how past experiences influence learning can help in building smarter machines which can aid us in decision making, especially in situations that involve many people to be considered, increasing the influencing factors. Neural Networks could help in making decisions in the business world. For example, analyzing small businesses which currently are selling products similar to the established business for cues that may signal possible disruptive innovation in the future. Neural Networks are useful as they include input data, weights and bias,  similar to how I record the visible expressions and tone of voice of a friend while in conversation (input), decide that her shallow breathing and nervous fidgeting signal anxiety and those cues are more important than the fact she is smiling to reassure me (weights) and derive the conclusion that her anxiety is due to approaching exams because I regard her as studious (bias). These processes ultimately influence my actions as I choose to listen to her thoughts to provide assistance.

Machine learning could help in building a smart car which involves taking in input (the traffic on the road, vehicle type, size and acceleration. Inputs could include scanning the driver’s visible appearance to calculate age and reflex skills to better predict changes in trajectory) and relying on previously measured patterns to calculate possible trajectories of vehicles. The software can calculate and store data if a new pattern emerges. It can rate which calculations are required on a regular basis, rating the patterns through factors such as time of day, weather etc. to associate them with situations that require them. Adding in features such as measuring the friction on the road in cases of rain, hail or snow could help in regulating the velocity of the car thereby reducing chances of skidding and a possible accident. The car could record inputs even when a person is driving it, similar to how a child learns by observing an adult performing the action. It could analyze other vehicles on the road to measure how they accelerate, take turns etc.

An enhanced approach to machine Learning combined with knowledge of neuroscience could also positively affect situations in which humans may at times fail to make the best decision. A similar situation is deciding which would be the best approach for their child to learn. It is extremely tricky as the guardians have to make the decision which may or may not be the best for the child. The Machine Learning software could adopt various learning methods informed by developmental psychology and measuring the reactions of the child to see which better suits their aptitude. This way we can categorize and take account of emotional responses. It can note various cues such as changes in the level of neurotransmitters (as they can inform us certainly of their reactions as children cannot express themselves thoroughly) such as dopamine to measure which method invokes excitement which could nurture curiosity and a positive outlook on learning.

The field of Artificial Neural Networks combines the best of my interests which is programming, psychology and neuroscience. Through counselling and journaling, I can record my thoughts and note how they have progressed to spot thinking loops. These observations have helped me understand how I take decisions and what factors influence me. My insights in psychology have formed through personal experience and research through articles and books. It provides a unique perspective on the way data is structured and processed for Machine Learning because I use these logical structures to make decisions in my day-to-day life.

When I had to select an educational path, I started noting which facilities were available in my childhood to understand why I had developed certain hobbies. The search for cause-and-effect models which could have influenced my temperament is something I often deliberate and am proud to say that some hypotheses are still under observation and experimentation.

Although I try to learn more about my interests, my knowledge is scattered. I would love to utilize the opportunity to take part in The Knowledge Society to structure my learning.

It provides me immense satisfaction that my daily experiences can be channeled to result in user-friendly algorithms, that could be transferred to different scenarios. 

Popular

My TKS Application journey

My journey  I applied for The Knowledge Society in February 2022. Initially, I had opened an application but then decided not to go for it, thinking that I wasn't smart enough to get in. Mia Nguyễn was my application advisor who mailed me about my incomplete application, asking me if there was anything I needed help with. There were few interview slots remaining and she asked if they should close my application. I opened her mail and began typing an apology letter, telling her that I would not be applying. As I finished the letter, my finger hovered over the send button. I sighed, selected my mail and pressed backspace. What was the harm in trying? I typed out a quick message, asking her to hold my slot. I opened MS Word and started on the essays I needed and stayed up all night, only to submit them a few hours before the deadline.  In late April, I was accepted into the 10 month Global Virtual Program as a TKS Innovator with considerable financial aid. Unfortunately, my financial

The summer of the beautiful white horse: Analysis, Summary and Theme

The summer of the beautiful white horse. : An Analysis  This short story written by William Saroyan is part of the CBSE Class 11 Snapshots NCERT Syllabus. While high school students would certainly benefit from the articles, literary enthusiasts are encouraged to join the discussion of how the author uses diction, literary terms and tone to portray the meaning of through the text.   Nostalgia marks the tone of narrator in the opening line of the sentence, reminiscing over how the world used to be magnificent and delightful. The sentence “life was still a delightful and mysterious dream” aptly describes how the narrator perceived the world as a nine year old. The theme of exaggeration and awe is repeatedly seen throughout the story through the character of uncle Khosrove and the narrator’s admiration of the horse. So awe stricken was Aram that he could not believe his eyes when his “crazy” cousin Mourad brought a beautiful white horse outside the window of his room around daybreak. The

Mistakes I have made as a high-school student

I was introduced to the U.S. College admissions in my Grade 10 when I saw an Instagram advert of Stanford. The pandemic was still raging and that was my excuse for not being able to work on my extracurriculars which were practically none. I postponed the activities to next year, the year 2021. I look back and think how naive I was. I was waiting for schools to open and blissfully waiting. The next year came and the situation still seemed bleak. It was then I realized that I cannot wait for things to go offline. My final exams of a grade that was spent online got cancelled and I was free by mid April. I was so fickle minded when it came to which college degree I wanted to have. All I knew was I wanted to study abroad. My junior year school admissions were postponed too. For a while I was happy about being cut off from the tethers of board exams. But satisfaction does not stay for long in my mind. When May came I was frantic about my extracurriculars. I was so desperate fo