Skip to main content

What would I tell my 15 year old self?

What would I tell my 15 year old self, at the beginning of 2021? (I'm 17 at the moment) Well, if I had a time machine, the first thing I would do is give her a hug. That girl worried too much! This one does too, but I like to tell myself that I have it under control.

I have learned these lessons by going through personal, academic and financial struggles and I don’t regret my experiences. But I think that if knew these principles earlier, it would have eased my personal conflicts, as they do so currently.

This post is a way for me to validate my time of uncertainty, fear and loneliness and to internalize the lessons this period has taught me, to carry on for future endeavors. 


Dear 15 year old Ada,

Me in Shimla: The summer of August 2021 (I hadn't turned 16 yet)

1.      Don’t compare yourself to others: I know it sounds a cliché advice to give to a teenager, but internalizing it could rid you of so many mental burdens. I used to think that other people had it easier than me, which led me to ask, ‘What am I doing wrong?’ I don’t have the same circumstances, upbringing or capabilities as someone else. To compare my journey with them would be undermining the beauty of mine.

2.      Don’t doubt your capabilities: The biggest fear I had then, (I still do, to some extent) was of making the wrong decision, because I doubted my capabilities for making the right one. It made me anxious about my imaginary future, building resentment against myself whenever I faced an obstacle. My anxiousness only made things difficult and hindered my potential, as my mind was more occupied in fulfilling expectations. It took time to nurture a relationship of trust with myself, and slowly I have developed courage to act on my decisions, unapologetically.

3.      Celebrate your small wins: I have always been quick to beat myself down over small mistakes, so it would be unfair if I didn’t celebrate the things I did right. I have made a rule to limit to at least 1 challenge per day, no matter how big or small. It makes the growth process seem less daunting. Always pushing myself outside of my comfort zone is not healthy, as I have learnt and could lead to burnout.

4.      Love the person who looks back at you in the mirror: I had always wanted to make something of myself, but in that process, somewhere, I forgot to take care of the person I was. The focus was on what I did, not who I was. Soon, the quality of work started to deteriorate, which pushed me into a cycle of self-doubt and low self-esteem. Everyday, I take out time to do something for myself, and remind myself  that I deserve it.

I used to get caught up between opportunities asking, ‘Should I do this or not?’ But the question I should have been asking was, ‘Am I curious about this? Do I relate to the values the work represents? Do I care about the cause?’

 

5.      Everyone has their own versions of success: I had thought that being a leader, in a position of power, was the only path to success. It was the only way to make an impact. But I have realized that everyone has a different set of skills and to employ them in the most impactful way possible is the only version of success you need. You could have an impact being a team member as well. Being an open-minded, compassionate person is more important than climbing up the business ladder. For me, being satisfied with my life is the biggest achievement I could ever have.

 

6.      Being indecisive is not a weakness: Indecision is the building of original thoughts, as you pause to think about the choices offered. It is a strength, not a weakness as the world perceives it, for it is only the strong that hold their ground and not get swayed into making the wrong choice in fear of being left out. Indecision, and consequently exploration, is for people on the search of their own truth. It is perfectly okay to try things for the sake of it, and not just because it would help your current future plan.

It is to let the world know I March to the beats of my own drum, and not dance to the orchestra it has organized.

7.      Don’t let the past ruin your present: If the past has been dark, it doesn’t mean that the future will follow in its footsteps. Have faith in your capabilities and learning. Don't put your energy going over and over what has happened, in the hopes that you will get the answers you need. Come out of a place of fear and make peace with your situation, and then see where it takes you:)

A personal reminder: Don’t wish for the time to be different. Every situation has its own beauty and challenges. To wish for the time to be different gives rise to victim mentality, as you’re debating about the circumstances outside your locus of control and sidelining what’s in your control (Your thoughts and actions).

8.      Experience the power of being in a community: I put pressure on myself to become hyper-productive to escape my current reality and isolated myself from interactions to protect my time.

But being surrounded with like-minded people, I feel a sense of belonging, which has eased my anxiety and loneliness, reigniting curiosity and the courage to follow it.

With love,

17 year old Ada (who is a bit wiser and more willing to make mistakes)

On a date with my friend, last week

 

Going through my later teenage years of self and external exploration was hard, to say the least. It took time to accept that discomfort is a part of the learning process. These days, I struggle as well, but with less resentment and anxiety and more groundedness and wonder. 

I am still figuring a lot of things out and it takes effort and intention to incorporate these lessons into my life, but anything worthwhile takes time. And I am slowly learning to enjoy the journey of seeking answers, rather than being in a hurry to get to them.

As I grow, this list would grow as well, leaving me with core principles to drive my life. But that’s enough about me, what lessons would you give to your younger self?

Popular

My TKS Application journey

My journey  I applied for The Knowledge Society in February 2022. Initially, I had opened an application but then decided not to go for it, thinking that I wasn't smart enough to get in. Mia Nguyễn was my application advisor who mailed me about my incomplete application, asking me if there was anything I needed help with. There were few interview slots remaining and she asked if they should close my application. I opened her mail and began typing an apology letter, telling her that I would not be applying. As I finished the letter, my finger hovered over the send button. I sighed, selected my mail and pressed backspace. What was the harm in trying? I typed out a quick message, asking her to hold my slot. I opened MS Word and started on the essays I needed and stayed up all night, only to submit them a few hours before the deadline.  In late April, I was accepted into the 10 month Global Virtual Program as a TKS Innovator with considerable financial aid. Unfortunately, my financial

The summer of the beautiful white horse: Analysis, Summary and Theme

The summer of the beautiful white horse. : An Analysis  This short story written by William Saroyan is part of the CBSE Class 11 Snapshots NCERT Syllabus. While high school students would certainly benefit from the articles, literary enthusiasts are encouraged to join the discussion of how the author uses diction, literary terms and tone to portray the meaning of through the text.   Nostalgia marks the tone of narrator in the opening line of the sentence, reminiscing over how the world used to be magnificent and delightful. The sentence “life was still a delightful and mysterious dream” aptly describes how the narrator perceived the world as a nine year old. The theme of exaggeration and awe is repeatedly seen throughout the story through the character of uncle Khosrove and the narrator’s admiration of the horse. So awe stricken was Aram that he could not believe his eyes when his “crazy” cousin Mourad brought a beautiful white horse outside the window of his room around daybreak. The

Mistakes I have made as a high-school student

I was introduced to the U.S. College admissions in my Grade 10 when I saw an Instagram advert of Stanford. The pandemic was still raging and that was my excuse for not being able to work on my extracurriculars which were practically none. I postponed the activities to next year, the year 2021. I look back and think how naive I was. I was waiting for schools to open and blissfully waiting. The next year came and the situation still seemed bleak. It was then I realized that I cannot wait for things to go offline. My final exams of a grade that was spent online got cancelled and I was free by mid April. I was so fickle minded when it came to which college degree I wanted to have. All I knew was I wanted to study abroad. My junior year school admissions were postponed too. For a while I was happy about being cut off from the tethers of board exams. But satisfaction does not stay for long in my mind. When May came I was frantic about my extracurriculars. I was so desperate fo