Skip to main content

Time blocking for effective time management

With the advent of the internet, we have access to more opportunities and events. While that has broadened our horizons, having to juggle many things at once can be overwhelming. Studies have shown that those who struggle with time management are more likely to experience stress, sleep issues, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues. They may also start to exhibit symptoms of workplace burnout. 



While time management is seen as a tool to increase efficiency at work, it can also have a positive effect on your personal life, allowing you to dedicate time to your priorities. I often felt pulled in many directions because of school, extracurriculars and personal projects. This encouraged a feeling of being overwhelmed that prevented me from doing anything. Time blocking has helped me to plan realistically and make sure my projects see the light of day, instead of just being ideas.

What is time blocking?

It is dedicating a chunk of your time to a specific task. It is a productivity technique for personal time management and brings together two tools: to-do list and calendar.



Fun fact: Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Cal Newport use it too!

Why should you use it?

With internet, comes choice. There are plenty of time management techniques, each with its own set of benefits. When trying to adopt a new habit, it is useful to know about its benefits, which gives us the drive to implement it in our lives.

The best way to manage your calendar is to be intentional with the way you plan your day. The goal is to be intentional with your time, so that you can have better control of how your day rolls out. Being intentional gives our choices meaning because we have chosen a task over the other things we could do, giving it value. This practice shouldn’t be taken as a tool to be hyper-productive, but to complete your priorities without burnout. It also encourages focus, as you know that other priorities have their own dedicated time.



To practice this, I use Google Calendar. But you can experiment with other calendars as well! In this screenshot, I have organized major parts of my day dedicated to my priorities which is studying and extracurriculars. I also like to have a to-do list in hand, filled with miscellaneous tasks that I need to do in my free time. Some examples of miscellaneous tasks are reading an article or creating a slack channel.

How to do it? 

You can start by listing out your tasks for the day and the time needed to do them. With this, you can arrange a sequence of when you would do these tasks in their time intervals, so that you can carry along a structure for the day.

A few tips

Don’t time block everything! If you feel stressed by a strict time schedule that dictates every minute of your day, you would likely end up with burnout. As a thumb rule, only time block the important tasks so you can create a balance between having things planned and going with the flow. Both practices are important for a sustainable lifestyle.

Be realistic : Do you struggle with following up with your schedule? Me too. Often times, I underestimate the time needed to complete a task because I assign it the time in which I ideally want to complete it, before moving on to other things. This mindset encourages the ‘get it over with’ thinking, in which you feel obligated to do your work and puts additional pressure. Not being able to complete your schedule negatively affects our self-esteem and encourages self-doubt.

When learning something new, remember to be mindful of the time used in being frustrated, to allow you some latitude to form new connections and a better understanding.

Be accepting: Remember that you can’t do everything in one day (that’s okay), so that you don’t overload your day and end up feeling depleted. Trying to fit everything in a plan makes time management stressful,  encouraging us to give up the practice before it becomes a habit. This doesn't allow for growth when forming a new habit and harms us in the long-term. 

Hope this article helped you to learn something new! Do share in the comments your experience with time management, any tools that have helped you

References: https://www.mcleanhospital.org/essential/do-you-manage-your-time-well#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThose%20who%20struggle%20with%20time,on%20time%20for%20your%20job.

Popular

My TKS Application journey

My journey  I applied for The Knowledge Society in February 2022. Initially, I had opened an application but then decided not to go for it, thinking that I wasn't smart enough to get in. Mia Nguyễn was my application advisor who mailed me about my incomplete application, asking me if there was anything I needed help with. There were few interview slots remaining and she asked if they should close my application. I opened her mail and began typing an apology letter, telling her that I would not be applying. As I finished the letter, my finger hovered over the send button. I sighed, selected my mail and pressed backspace. What was the harm in trying? I typed out a quick message, asking her to hold my slot. I opened MS Word and started on the essays I needed and stayed up all night, only to submit them a few hours before the deadline.  In late April, I was accepted into the 10 month Global Virtual Program as a TKS Innovator with considerable financial aid. Unfortunately, my financial

The summer of the beautiful white horse: Analysis, Summary and Theme

The summer of the beautiful white horse. : An Analysis  This short story written by William Saroyan is part of the CBSE Class 11 Snapshots NCERT Syllabus. While high school students would certainly benefit from the articles, literary enthusiasts are encouraged to join the discussion of how the author uses diction, literary terms and tone to portray the meaning of through the text.   Nostalgia marks the tone of narrator in the opening line of the sentence, reminiscing over how the world used to be magnificent and delightful. The sentence “life was still a delightful and mysterious dream” aptly describes how the narrator perceived the world as a nine year old. The theme of exaggeration and awe is repeatedly seen throughout the story through the character of uncle Khosrove and the narrator’s admiration of the horse. So awe stricken was Aram that he could not believe his eyes when his “crazy” cousin Mourad brought a beautiful white horse outside the window of his room around daybreak. The

Mistakes I have made as a high-school student

I was introduced to the U.S. College admissions in my Grade 10 when I saw an Instagram advert of Stanford. The pandemic was still raging and that was my excuse for not being able to work on my extracurriculars which were practically none. I postponed the activities to next year, the year 2021. I look back and think how naive I was. I was waiting for schools to open and blissfully waiting. The next year came and the situation still seemed bleak. It was then I realized that I cannot wait for things to go offline. My final exams of a grade that was spent online got cancelled and I was free by mid April. I was so fickle minded when it came to which college degree I wanted to have. All I knew was I wanted to study abroad. My junior year school admissions were postponed too. For a while I was happy about being cut off from the tethers of board exams. But satisfaction does not stay for long in my mind. When May came I was frantic about my extracurriculars. I was so desperate fo