Skip to main content

Life is all but a string of moments

When you look back, you remember the moments you felt deeply. Not those moments when you were at an extreme end of a mood swing, but when your emotions held gravity because you recognized something in your life worth noticing. These moments may be felt consciously, like the time when I saw all my family members dancing to weird Bollywood songs I don't even remember and thought that I would miss this when eventually I packed my bags to a college I hadn't decided yet. When I hugged my brother close on his 22nd birthday, hoping that the smell of his hair might soften the reconciliation I'd have to give myself when I left town the next day. It is at these moments that we feel the urge to hold these precious moments close because we're scared of letting them go, filled with fear of losing this wholeheartedness.

It is at these moments that I fully experience what Brene Brown meant when she said that joy is the most vulnerable of all emotions. We're scared to feel it, but it is important to feel these moments even when simultaneously we're afraid of losing them. It may create a dichotomy but these moments fill our soul and give us strength to carry on, to make compromises with the mundanity of daily life in the hope of feeling them again.

Ideally, we choose our paths in the hope that we will have more of these moments. If we are right or not, based on the nature and relationship with the path we have chosen, only time tells. And time does tell, only if you let it. These wholehearted moments are not planned, often happen at once when the time is right, when you're ready to let go and those around you whom you trust are participating in the joy of the moment. Not in any anticipation, but celebrating being together, even if the celebration has not been declared.

When I feel this wholeheartedness, I find it easier to reconnect to more subtler moments of feeling the same emotion to which I had lost track in my daily life. 

Sitting at the back of my family's small navy hatchback, when life was full of homework and school lessons, driving through the cantonment area reserved for army, listening to my father reminisce about the songs from his generation. Hugging my mother close and feeling myself melting into the comfort of her arms. Driving around with my brothers in my budding teenage years, with the taste of freedom fresh on the tip of my tongue. Being lucky enough to be dropped off at my best friend's house in middle school as we planned our play of the day, plotting a new game with her cousins, full of innocent joy.  Waking up to see the backyard submerged with heavy rain pattering the roof, signaling that we would be lucky enough to get a rainy day off from school. There were some days when me and my brother even prayed for it. As you might have noticed, these memories don't follow a timeline.

I get filled with emotion every time I feel these memories retracing their path in my mind and tears brim in my eyes. Yet, I no longer push them away and allow myself to feel these emotions, letting them fill me with life. 

There is a magic that comes alive when the right people are together, at the right time, when life feels just right and you no longer feel the need to escape to a better situation.

May you have many more of these moments, to fill your wonderful life.

P.S. This article was written on the eve of my brother's 22nd birthday. May all your dreams come true Bhaiya

Popular

My TKS Application journey

My journey  I applied for The Knowledge Society in February 2022. Initially, I had opened an application but then decided not to go for it, thinking that I wasn't smart enough to get in. Mia Nguyễn was my application advisor who mailed me about my incomplete application, asking me if there was anything I needed help with. There were few interview slots remaining and she asked if they should close my application. I opened her mail and began typing an apology letter, telling her that I would not be applying. As I finished the letter, my finger hovered over the send button. I sighed, selected my mail and pressed backspace. What was the harm in trying? I typed out a quick message, asking her to hold my slot. I opened MS Word and started on the essays I needed and stayed up all night, only to submit them a few hours before the deadline.  In late April, I was accepted into the 10 month Global Virtual Program as a TKS Innovator with considerable financial aid. Unfortunately, my financial

The summer of the beautiful white horse: Analysis, Summary and Theme

The summer of the beautiful white horse. : An Analysis  This short story written by William Saroyan is part of the CBSE Class 11 Snapshots NCERT Syllabus. While high school students would certainly benefit from the articles, literary enthusiasts are encouraged to join the discussion of how the author uses diction, literary terms and tone to portray the meaning of through the text.   Nostalgia marks the tone of narrator in the opening line of the sentence, reminiscing over how the world used to be magnificent and delightful. The sentence “life was still a delightful and mysterious dream” aptly describes how the narrator perceived the world as a nine year old. The theme of exaggeration and awe is repeatedly seen throughout the story through the character of uncle Khosrove and the narrator’s admiration of the horse. So awe stricken was Aram that he could not believe his eyes when his “crazy” cousin Mourad brought a beautiful white horse outside the window of his room around daybreak. The

Mistakes I have made as a high-school student

I was introduced to the U.S. College admissions in my Grade 10 when I saw an Instagram advert of Stanford. The pandemic was still raging and that was my excuse for not being able to work on my extracurriculars which were practically none. I postponed the activities to next year, the year 2021. I look back and think how naive I was. I was waiting for schools to open and blissfully waiting. The next year came and the situation still seemed bleak. It was then I realized that I cannot wait for things to go offline. My final exams of a grade that was spent online got cancelled and I was free by mid April. I was so fickle minded when it came to which college degree I wanted to have. All I knew was I wanted to study abroad. My junior year school admissions were postponed too. For a while I was happy about being cut off from the tethers of board exams. But satisfaction does not stay for long in my mind. When May came I was frantic about my extracurriculars. I was so desperate fo