Skip to main content

A pair of pink shoes and Nani

Personal entry: September 2021

Nani is a hindi word for maternal grandmother and Dadi means Paternal grandmother. 
Nani comes limping on her cane from across the town, hair white as tinsel and a round belly hidden under the same pair of pale salwar kurta that I have seen her in throughout the years. Asking for a cold glass of water, she slumps down in a chair in our veranda. Her expressions are always the same. Surrounded with folds of wrinkles, her brown eyes squint in exasperation at the weather. But she is never one to be brooding. The weather is just another stimulus for conversation in a world that seldom experiences change. A world that has withered all blows and finally settled down.
Bearing gifts in her hand, she calls for me through my mother. And I come to smile at her. When I was young, her visit meant a respite from the tedious sessions of teaching from my mother, which if I now recall were relatively short.
Her visits now mean a chore. In the minutes when my mother goes inside to do something, I find a topic to converse. I ask of her health and she of whatever my mother has informed her.
"You came yesterday? " She asks. 
I nod. "My exams are in fifteen days." At least that was true. We had come back to Bareilly almost a month ago but my mother hadn't told her. Why? So she wouldn't come all the way across town. Why? Don't ask, because even I don't know. I wasn't listening when my mother was telling me the excuse. I generally stay away from the family politics. All I knew was that I was to tell her that we came to town yesterday. 
She has brought two pairs of shoes, two double bed blankets and four pyjamas for me and my mother. Mother and I have the same foot and waist size so a gift can mean to either of us. But both of us know that they are first and foremost meant for me. 
I try on the pair of shoes she has brought, silencing the critic that has been bred by the comments of my father and brother, and let my unadulterated judgement peak through. One of them is white with gold stars sprinkled along the bottom and the other is baby pink with vinyl finish and 'GUCCI' written in gold letters along the side. The way it's written declares it's fake. I like the former instinctively. My face bears none of the deliberation it is going through. 
But when my feet slips inside the white shoe, the sole feels hard and the back flap gnaws against my ankle. The soft touch of the pink one is instantly gratifying. The angled slope would have made it perfect were it not for the gold letters of GUCCI. 
My instinct was wrong and my superficial choice bit my ankle.
I walk around the verandah, flexing my new gift for her. I tell them how nice they are.
"See they're strong. I saw their sole was sturdy." I nod. I keep them on. "I bought both of them for just Rs. 500." She smiles, proud of her thriftness. 
We talk over the grunting of water cooler. The sun is hazy to my relief. She asks about my trip to Shimla, whether I bought some clothes from the money she gave me.
I have to talk loudly due to the crackling of the cooler. I tell her about my Matryoshka doll. She doesn't understand so I go inside. Nani has to sit outside in the verandah because my father does not talk with her. I bring the purple painted wooden concentric dolls, open them up and lay them out. 
Dadi comes up the stairs on the farther side of the verandah, eyeing me widely, silently showing her disapproval. I hate it when she does that. Nani's back is to her and she doesn't turn. 
"No namaste, no good morning, nothing." Dadi deliberately says in English. Maybe because Nani cannot understand it.

I bring out my tablet and she shifts to the edge of her seat. "What is that?" She asks at once.
My mother and I share a smile at her wonder. 
I explain to her that its a big phone and hand it to her. I don't sit very close because she comes from the crowded part of the city and I don't want to catch the Corona virus. I hand over my tablet with the blue jacket. She just looks at it without touching anything. 
"How much was it?" She asks. This is the first time I have seen her being close to excited.
I shrug, looking at my mom. I do know. But I don't tell her. Why? 
I don't know. 
I guess when you have been told by your parents to hide or cover up for so many things, you instinctively hide, in case you were not supposed to say it. 
Rocky foundations.
"It must be expensive." Her tone bears no mocking, no jealousy in her gaze as I have often seen from my Dadi. 
The curiosity that is the birthright of a child reflects in her wise eyes.
"I use it to study." I click on the purple colored icon of Byju's, my online learning application whose subscription I have bought. "They teach through videos." I tap on the first chapter of physics and a familiar voice rings through the speaker. "This is your teacher?" I nod. She hands it back and I make a mental note to sanitize it. 
I open Blogger and begin typing this entry.
She looks towards the front garden. She sighs. "It's been so long since I received a call from Vicky." Vicky Mama is my uncle and her middle son. Her eldest son, whom she hadn't met for 16 years ever since he left for USA, died from stage 4 cancer last year. Nobody in the family had known about his diagnosis. He had been stubborn up till his last days to not go to the hospital. When his wife's mother had come to look at him, she had told her to take him to the hospital, otherwise he would die right there.
Nani always waits for Mama's call from Australia. He shifted from India four years ago. The hazel in her eyes shines with the afternoon sun and her wrinkled dusky skin is aglow. She looks beautiful. 

Her beauty is not from symmetry, but the years that have left an imprint on her skin.


She doesn't deserve a son who scarcely calls or a granddaughter who cuts her calls on the same tablet she was excited about. The people she is attached to are caught in a current of society that flows too fast for them. They are caught in such a whirlwind, that they have lost all care for those who look out for them. We're just tired.
My brother after whom she has asked twice comes out to greet her. His eyes are heavy with sleep and hair messy. He sits for a while and leaves, saying he has online classes to attend. 
I sit with her. My mind fails to find a way to express the contrast in our lives. Every sentence of conversation with her ends abruptly. It's like she is in a hurry to dismiss the question before she has understood it properly. But then, she does come here to relieve her loneliness. 
I almost feel a pang of jealousy for her simple life but then retrace my steps. For I know I would never be content with her routine of sleeping, eating and waiting. I have a lot more to see and gain, before I give it all up, knowing that my true happiness is not in the things I was crazy for.

I go inside the house and see my brother chatting happily on the phone and my mother cooking rotis for him on the stove and think that they should be with Nani outside who is eating her food alone, asking cold water from anyone she spots. 
But then again, I too am in the living room having my food while I write about her.
After I am done, I go outside to tell her goodbye. My mother tells her, "Okay, Mummy,  she has to study. Her exams are in two weeks." 
I smile and wave at her. Then retreat to a library of videos about gravitation, hoping somehow that maybe the mysterious force of gravity would tether me to the ground.


Popular

My TKS Application journey

My journey  I applied for The Knowledge Society in February 2022. Initially, I had opened an application but then decided not to go for it, thinking that I wasn't smart enough to get in. Mia Nguyễn was my application advisor who mailed me about my incomplete application, asking me if there was anything I needed help with. There were few interview slots remaining and she asked if they should close my application. I opened her mail and began typing an apology letter, telling her that I would not be applying. As I finished the letter, my finger hovered over the send button. I sighed, selected my mail and pressed backspace. What was the harm in trying? I typed out a quick message, asking her to hold my slot. I opened MS Word and started on the essays I needed and stayed up all night, only to submit them a few hours before the deadline.  In late April, I was accepted into the 10 month Global Virtual Program as a TKS Innovator with considerable financial aid. Unfortunately, my financial

The summer of the beautiful white horse: Analysis, Summary and Theme

The summer of the beautiful white horse. : An Analysis  This short story written by William Saroyan is part of the CBSE Class 11 Snapshots NCERT Syllabus. While high school students would certainly benefit from the articles, literary enthusiasts are encouraged to join the discussion of how the author uses diction, literary terms and tone to portray the meaning of through the text.   Nostalgia marks the tone of narrator in the opening line of the sentence, reminiscing over how the world used to be magnificent and delightful. The sentence “life was still a delightful and mysterious dream” aptly describes how the narrator perceived the world as a nine year old. The theme of exaggeration and awe is repeatedly seen throughout the story through the character of uncle Khosrove and the narrator’s admiration of the horse. So awe stricken was Aram that he could not believe his eyes when his “crazy” cousin Mourad brought a beautiful white horse outside the window of his room around daybreak. The

Mistakes I have made as a high-school student

I was introduced to the U.S. College admissions in my Grade 10 when I saw an Instagram advert of Stanford. The pandemic was still raging and that was my excuse for not being able to work on my extracurriculars which were practically none. I postponed the activities to next year, the year 2021. I look back and think how naive I was. I was waiting for schools to open and blissfully waiting. The next year came and the situation still seemed bleak. It was then I realized that I cannot wait for things to go offline. My final exams of a grade that was spent online got cancelled and I was free by mid April. I was so fickle minded when it came to which college degree I wanted to have. All I knew was I wanted to study abroad. My junior year school admissions were postponed too. For a while I was happy about being cut off from the tethers of board exams. But satisfaction does not stay for long in my mind. When May came I was frantic about my extracurriculars. I was so desperate fo