Skip to main content

Reading Pride and Prejudice with patience. Why reading fast is overrated.

 

Reading is so simple. Just pick up a book, find a corner and read. Yet when you are running a race to finish, it becomes agony. I have always struggled with impatience which was why I couldn’t read as novels as a child.

I have been taught to read since I was a child. Or so I thought. I was taught to decipher the alphabets written in clumps called words, stringed together in a sentence. But merely understanding the apparent meaning is not enough when reading through a novel. I use the word through because that is what I did. Not reading it but reading through it. Flipping through the pages, their numbers adding like on a tally sheet marking a point for me. Ultimately, I would score the final goal and close the book, only to feel dissatisfaction. I had raced through the book treating it like a challenge,  wrestled with it rather than trying to experience the novel. The loss of an experience that should have been effortless but I ignored with added effort, is disheartening.  On finishing, there was no one to congratulate me on my feat. I couldn’t do it myself because I knew it wasn’t a win.

“You are really proud of your defects in writing, because you consider them as proceeding from a rapidity of thought and carelessness of execution, which if not estimable, you think at least highly interesting. The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized by the possessor, often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.” – Mr. Darcy, Chapter 10

Reading this paragraph in Pride and Prejudice came at a time when I much needed it. I was agonizing over my steady speed when Mr. Darcy gently poked me in the ribs, pointing towards the folly I was committing. Nothing is better when, out of the book you are struggling with, a character comes and slaps you to pay attention.

I had read at least 80 pages of the book online. But I started again. I went through steadily but towards the end Elizabeth caught me in a flurry of her emotions and the pages flipped automatically in front of my eyes. I finished the book. And now, I have started it again. I treat each chapter as a sermon. A work of perfection. It has revealed to me the subtle gestures Mr. Darcy gave, how ardently Elizabeth ignored them and the strikingly innocent even careless character of Mr. Bingley. It is amazing how much a book will reveal to you if you just spend time with it. The words that were read before take on a different meaning.

Here are somethings I learned:

I found out that I was more like Elizabeth than I thought. I took pride in being open minded and fair and maybe to some extent I was, in matters related to others. But when it came to myself, I stuck to my biases and predictions as if I had seen into the future. I was the one holding myself back by clinging to my superficial knowledge of what was right for me, just in the same way Elizabeth clings to her prejudice of Mr. Darcy because that is the basis on which she has made all the assumptions about people of his class like Caroline Bingley,  Mr. Bingley and George Wickham. It is amazing how attached we grow to our prejudices because we have formed our reality around it. But it is never too late. It takes a great strength of character and understanding to revise your judgment which towards the end Elizabeth does.

Love is not all about feelings and emotions but also respect, stability and intellectual compatibility. Feelings are fickle. They are temporary and they will flee if your partner does not satisfy or challenges your intellect allowing you to grow more. Growth is more important than people believe in a relationship. If it is not there it will become stagnant and you might lose regard for your partner.

I learned to grow intimate and understand the characters as if they were real people in my life. In reading Pride and Prejudice,  I was able to live in Regency England, with their strict social norms and urgency related for a girl to get married.

When you read fast, you miss out on this special connection.  Somebody you have never met can understand and leave you with a lesson you needed. Reading fast is like being distant from your lover. They are right in front of you. You can strengthen your connection if you stop holding yourself back.

Reading Jane Austen makes me feel like I am keeping her memories and thoughts alive. It is a satisfying feeling to be a part of something much bigger than yourself, spanning across borders and centuries. I am keeping her spirit alive. This is the role that you, as a reader have. You are not a passive observer but are dynamically exerting influence through what you write and talk about. The way you interpret is more important. Reading a novel allows you to slow down and even contemplate your life along the way.

Pride and Prejudice is more than just a romantic novel. It is about false perceptions, one’s ignorance hidden behind pride, overcoming and forgiving oneself for foolish mistakes and wanting to have something more than what your class and social standing deems you to be worthy of. It deals with class divide, importance of money for sustaining respect in relationships through the witty commentary of Jane Austen. I couldn’t have learned this had I read fast.

We live in the age of the internet. A state of hyperactive work method where if you’re not fast enough, you will be left behind. But everyone has a different pace. Learn to become comfortable with yourself before trying to please others.

Remember there is no finish line in life and even if there is, it is not very rewarding.


Popular

My TKS Application journey

My journey  I applied for The Knowledge Society in February 2022. Initially, I had opened an application but then decided not to go for it, thinking that I wasn't smart enough to get in. Mia Nguyễn was my application advisor who mailed me about my incomplete application, asking me if there was anything I needed help with. There were few interview slots remaining and she asked if they should close my application. I opened her mail and began typing an apology letter, telling her that I would not be applying. As I finished the letter, my finger hovered over the send button. I sighed, selected my mail and pressed backspace. What was the harm in trying? I typed out a quick message, asking her to hold my slot. I opened MS Word and started on the essays I needed and stayed up all night, only to submit them a few hours before the deadline.  In late April, I was accepted into the 10 month Global Virtual Program as a TKS Innovator with considerable financial aid. Unfortunately, my financial

The summer of the beautiful white horse: Analysis, Summary and Theme

The summer of the beautiful white horse. : An Analysis  This short story written by William Saroyan is part of the CBSE Class 11 Snapshots NCERT Syllabus. While high school students would certainly benefit from the articles, literary enthusiasts are encouraged to join the discussion of how the author uses diction, literary terms and tone to portray the meaning of through the text.   Nostalgia marks the tone of narrator in the opening line of the sentence, reminiscing over how the world used to be magnificent and delightful. The sentence “life was still a delightful and mysterious dream” aptly describes how the narrator perceived the world as a nine year old. The theme of exaggeration and awe is repeatedly seen throughout the story through the character of uncle Khosrove and the narrator’s admiration of the horse. So awe stricken was Aram that he could not believe his eyes when his “crazy” cousin Mourad brought a beautiful white horse outside the window of his room around daybreak. The

Mistakes I have made as a high-school student

I was introduced to the U.S. College admissions in my Grade 10 when I saw an Instagram advert of Stanford. The pandemic was still raging and that was my excuse for not being able to work on my extracurriculars which were practically none. I postponed the activities to next year, the year 2021. I look back and think how naive I was. I was waiting for schools to open and blissfully waiting. The next year came and the situation still seemed bleak. It was then I realized that I cannot wait for things to go offline. My final exams of a grade that was spent online got cancelled and I was free by mid April. I was so fickle minded when it came to which college degree I wanted to have. All I knew was I wanted to study abroad. My junior year school admissions were postponed too. For a while I was happy about being cut off from the tethers of board exams. But satisfaction does not stay for long in my mind. When May came I was frantic about my extracurriculars. I was so desperate fo